But I will be returning on Sunday - another short weekend. Sigh.
This apple cake makes it a little easier and makes the weekend a bit more enjoyable.
My mom has been making this apple cake for a while now and she finally gave me the recipe. I am so happy to share it with all of you.
It is absolutely delicious and I like to think it's a bit healthier with the apples in it.
I only make half the recipe at a time because, well, there's only two of us and I like to use my small springform pan instead of the larger one.
Below is the full recipe. It is very easy to cut in half if, like me, you are only feeding a few people.
My Mom's Apple Cakeserves 8 or 12 - small or larger pieces, nutritional information below is for 8 smaller pieces
1c + 1/4c sugar, divided
1/2c margarine, softened
1t vanilla extract
6oz low fat cream cheese, softened
2 eggs (I use flax eggs)
1.5c all purpose flour
1.5t baking powder
3c apples (I usually use a Granny Smith or a combination of what I have on hand i.e. Granny Smith with Gala)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a standing mixer, beat together 1c sugar, margarine, vanilla and cream cheese until smooth. Add eggs or flax egg, beat until combined.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt and add to cream cheese mixture.
- Peel and chop apples. I cut into slices.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining 1/4c sugar and cinnamon and combine 2T with apples. Toss until all apples are coated with mixture.
- Mix apples into batter.
- Pour batter into 8in. greased springform pan and sprinkle top with remaining cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake for about 1hr 15minutes or until cake pulls away from side of pan. (When baking half, I check at about 40min).
The original recipe my mom gave me called for more sugar but I omitted some. I figured it would be sweet enough with the apples inside and the sprinkle of sugar on top. But feel free to add a little extra sugar if you like it extra sweet! Enjoy with a cup of coffee, tea, or my favorite, milk!
This is a nice change of pace from a regular cake.
What are some of your favorite cakes?
Linking up for Townsend House