Friday, January 25, 2013

a cold winter's night

I tend to refer to myself as a sometimes runner. My job requires a lot of travel in the fall and that doesn't bode well for running. I also hate treadmills.
Right after fall travel season comes winter. Pushing myself out the door in the winter is hard - it happens - but it's tooough. There was a time when I would run in rain, shine, snow, freezing. Anything and everything. I would be out there. I miss those days. I'd love to get those days back. And still have a hope that I can.

Which brings me to my moment of crazy the other night. Most of you might also be experiencing the freezing temperatures that are going on. We're talking negative degrees. It's absurd. It's awful to go outside let alone need to move and function in it. But I had my mind set that I was going to run after work. The plan was to meet my husband at the gym after work and I was going to run on the dreaded treadmill. This plan crumbled when he was let out from the class he had to take nearly 2 hours early. I didn't want him to have to be at the gym for over 2 hours and then wait for me to do my thing...so instead... I did the absurd. I ran. Outside.

I told my husband when I got home that I was going for a run and he quickly said, "You're insane.... but I support you." There's really no way to fully prepare for the frigid outdoors without looking like I was going to rob a bank, so I used what I had and got layering...

two pairs of leggings
long-sleeved wicking shirt
sweatshirt
lined waterproof jacket
two pairs of gloves
long thick socks
neck/face mask
hat


I was ready.

It was cold. It started to snow. My toes went numb.
It wasn't a long run but it was peaceful. I'm glad I went.
..but I wouldn't mind that ski mask...


....and an extra pair of socks.

What's your winter workout motivation?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover