Monday, January 7, 2013

Homemade Cleaner

There are many things I would like to accomplish in 2013. However I realize I am only human. Only one person. And can't do everything all at once. One thing I want to accomplish is to try to make as many things as possible from scratch.

Since 2010, when we got engaged, my husband and I really nixed eating out to save money for our wedding and began cooking pretty much everything at home. This, technically, was my beginning steps of "make it on my own" but I would like to take this a step further this year.
First task - homemade cleaner!

Has anyone heard about making homemade cleaners? One thing I really enjoy about cooking things from scratch is knowing exactly what I'm putting in my body - why not do the same with household products? It cannot be good breathing in all those harsh chemicals. Also, my dog tends to randomly lick things (read: everything) and I'd feel a lot more comfortable knowing what he's licking. My first homemade cleaner takes about 2 weeks to prepare so I got eating. Yes. Eating.

To make this cleaner it's quite simple:

fill a jar with the peels of citrus fruit - pack them in there (but not too 
packed that no vinegar gets in)
cover with vinegar
wait 2 weeks
done

Clementines happen to be my favorite fruit and they happen to be in season! Lucky me. Lucky you. So for the past week or so I have been saving our clementine peels in a sealed tupperware container in the fridge (so the peels didn't go bad). When I had enough to fill a jar I just poured vinegar over them until they were submerged. Now it sits pretty on my counter...


In two weeks I will have an all-purpose, wonderfully scented household cleaner. This is the concentrate, however. Dilute with water in a spray bottle before using (2:1 ratio, water:vinegar).

I will check back in in about two weeks to share how the concentrate came out, mixing in a bottle, how we like the cleaning power, smell etc. but in case you wanted to start your own concentrate, get eating and save those peels!!

For those of you who have made this before, how'd it turn out? 

There are many different scents you can make (lemon, orange, grapefruit etc.) try combining different peels - even with herbs too! I'm starting with a basic and will venture out from there...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover