Wednesday, January 23, 2013

homemade cleaner - part two

About two weeks ago I mentioned my desire to make more things on my own. My first project was making a homemade all-purpose cleaner. The process is very simple and you can read more about it here.


After two weeks of watching my clementine peels soak in vinegar (and shaking the jar every few days) the time had come to make my mixture!
I started by removing the clementines from the jar (I actually squeezed some to get out as much vinegar from them as I could) and then strained the remaining liquid. Look at that color!




I mixed the cleaner in an all-purpose cleaning bottle I picked up at the Dollar Store earlier that morning. The concoction is a 2:1 ratio, water:vinegar.

The bottle held the entire jar perfectly! I added about 1.5c vinegar and 3c of water. Gave it a little shake and started cleaning... the walls. the trim. the bathroom. the counters.

it worked sooooo well. I was very impressed. It even worked on tough dog messes. I love it so much I am starting to save my clementine peels again to make another batch to have on hand when I use up this one.


My husband was 100% skeptical of this homemade cleaner. He did not want our house to smell like vinegar even if after a while it dissipates. While I was cleaning I asked him if he could smell the vinegar and he said that it only smelled a little citrus-y and that was it. To my surprise, I came home the next day and he told me, "You know that cleaner worked really well on the sink, too, and it smells good!"

He's sold. 

Has anyone made a cleaner like this one or any other kind?? How did it turn out?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover