Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Now those scones

In a previous post I mentioned I went on a baking spree to try to use up some products in my house before they went bad. Aside from waffles and pancakes, I whipped up a batch of scones (actually, two batches - we had a lot of Silk Nog).
No surprise, this recipe also is adapted from MamaPea over at peasandthankyou.com

The mention of Eggnog Scones might have you making a face. No worries. I was a bit skeptical myself. Until I tried them.

Whenever I try any new recipe, I always halve the recipe. I don't want to end up with 24 cupcakes, 16 scones, or a giant tray of brownies that I end up just tossing in the trash. I hate waste! I also love to make foods that are very freezer friendly. This recipe delivered on both regards: easy to halve and pop in the freezer!



Don't be afraid - Eggnog Scones
(makes about 16 scones)

3/4 c eggnog (I use Silk Nog)
1 t lemon juice
2.5 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t cream of tartar
1/2 t salt
3/4 t nutmeg (I use pre-ground)
1/2 c margarine, sliced

Glaze:
1 c powdered sugar
sprinkle of nutmeg
1.5-2 T eggnog

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Combine eggnog and lemon juice in a small bowl.
  • While the nog "curdles", combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and nutmeg into a large bowl.
  • Cut the margarine into the flour mixture. If you have a pastry blender, use that. I do not and use my fingers. I add one pat of margarine at a time until the mixture looks course in texture. 
  • Add eggnog mixture - it should look curdled by now. Combine eggnog nixture and form a dough. If it is too dry, do not worry. If it is wet, I put a little flour on top so my hands do not stick to it.
  • Turn dough out onto floured counter top. Roll dough out into a long rectangle - a bit over 12 inches, and about 1.5 inches thick. Slice into ~16 wedges and transfer to baking sheet (I use a baking mat).
  • Bake for 20 minutes
  • For the glaze: combine powdered sugar, nutmeg and eggnog in a bowl. Whisk until smooth and desired consistency is reached. Drizzle over cooled scones.
My husband really, really loved these. He tried one before I told him the flavor and told me that he was glad he ate one before finding out the flavor or else he would have been turned off. It doesn't taste like you are biting into eggnog - it has a nice, subtle taste. If you have any leftover eggnog I highly recommend making these. I made two batches and froze over half of them - with icing on them.
What are some of your favorite go-to recipes to use up some ingredients?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover