Thursday, January 10, 2013

Waffles - Lesson learned

This past week quickly turned into "oh crap ___ is going bad soon". This baking/cooking escapade all started with a special request for pancakes. I am not one to turn down pancakes or waffles (I typically make them every Sunday). I haven't made them in what feels like foreeeeever - but this worked out perfectly since I had some bananas (ok a TON of bananas) and needed to start using them up.
I also realized my eggnog was getting close to its expiration date; egg nog scones were born
I had some silken tofu that was nearing its end; peanut butter banana pie (that was a two-fer with bananas too!)
Around 10 bananas all ripening at once; pancakes and waffles

I have a go-to recipe that I usually quadruple and freeze batches of waffles for us to have on hand each weekend. The only kicker: need a ripened banana. I usually try to keep one lingering banana around so I can make at least a double batch. Or I swipe them from my mom's when I'm over visiting.

The recipe is adapted from MamaPea from peasandthankyou.com
I did slight tweaking from the original recipe

Sunday Waffles

1/2 overripe banana, mashed
1/2 c water
1/2 c milk (dairy or silk/almond vanilla)
1.5 T unsweetened applesauce*
1/2 T canola oil*
1 T sugar
1/2 t salt
1/2 t vanilla
1 c flour (I have all-purpose always on hand but sometimes do a combo with some oat or whole wheat)*
2 t baking powder

  • Preheat waffle iron (or griddle if making pancakes).
  • Mash banana in a large bowl. (I may own a baby-sized masher but a fork works, too)
  • Add water, milk, applesauce, oil, sugar, salt and vanilla. Whisk together.
  • Add flour and baking soda. Whisk until everything comes together. Do NOT overmix. 
  • Pour about 1/3 c batter into greased/sprayed waffle iron. I usually use a smidge less than 1/3 c because I hate cleaning it if there is runoff.
  • Cook until golden brown.

We like to eat our waffles with some fresh fruit. Feel free to add some chocolate chips to the batter as well.

*Note: original recipe calls for 2 T of canola oil. I tweak the oil amount depending on batch size. When I quadruple, for instance, I typically use 6-7T of applesauce and only 1-2T of oil. You can tweak to your liking. We do not notice the difference at all.
*When I make this into pancakes, I add a smidge more flour. Around 2T to get a bit thicker consistency so pancakes hold their form. 

Please note: apple was consumed before shooting.

Our waffles are always a huge hit! Two days after making pancakes with this recipe, I decided to make waffles.... and scones. As I was pulling out my first batch of waffles they looked, off. WAY too brown. They all ended up that way. We tasted them. I immediately said something was wrong. Then I remembered: I used baking SODA instead of baking POWDER. Major awful waffle. (Salute Your Shorts, anyone?)
Lesson learned.

Have you ever had a kitchen blunder where you used the wrong ingredient and instantly knew something was off? Or maybe omitted an ingredient? My husband is notorious for leaving out ingredients whenever he bakes. Especially bread.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover